Wednesday, March 19, 2008

2nd Night of our Baby Class!

So last night we went to our second class at the hospital for our 6 week enrollment of Child Birth Preparation classes. The first night was the instructor teaching us about our changing bodies and what we have yet to expect. It was informative and good to know......


But last nights class came Fast and Furious.... right off the bat - we got a video. Yes, the dreaded "Watch this Lady give Birth" video! Let me just add that she was in labor for 24 hours, no drugs, never screamed and 4 pushes the baby came falling out....YEAH RIGHT! Where do they find these women? Good for her... Not to mention they dont tell you ahead of time that your gonna get the full shot of the kid coming out. Which, may I add, I was not ready to see....they even showed the placenta! Yes... it was chillin on a plate on a table in the delivery room. I just about threw up my Twizzlers that I was snacking on like I was at the Movies. Of course, my Husband, the ex-Military War Veteran Doctor was fine with it. "Intrigued" is a better word for it. Infact, as I was hiding my eyes, he said that it didnt look any worse than BRAIN MATTER! OH... for the love of God... it just got worse for me.... and HE wasnt helping my stomach issues.

With all of this being said, you should know I have never been admitted to the Hospital, never slept in a Hospital Bed, I've never had a cast, never had any type of surgery and have only received 3 stitches in my little toe when I was 11 years old and it was in a clinic. So needless to say I have an unknown fear of Hospitals, let alone if blood or organs have to be involved, then I start to get pretty uncomfortable.

So after this Wonderful Lady popped out this kid, I was able to wipe the sweat from my brow as if I had just delivered this baby for her. The video was finally over, whew!!! OH...But wait!!! Then the instructor asked "Does anyone know what to people do with the Placenta?"....and Im thinking to myself...Oh please dont say that people keep it, what.... let me guess... they use it as a wall decoration, right? No, worse!!! One Husband piped up and said that some people EAT IT!

Dont ask.... Here came my Twizzlers....Then she said, some people donate it, some people do the whole Cord Blood Banking thing and then....
Yes... some people take it home.... and Bury it. Huh?
At this point I couldnt keep my mouth shut. I said under my breath to Shane.. "Oh sure and then during a family dinner in walks the dog with your placenta in her mouth, wagging her tail wondering who's gonna play fetch with me now!" So, needless to say we had some other couples doubled up over our smart ass comments to one another but, Come On! Who does that? She said they plant a tree where its buried, etc etc. Big Whoop! Throw that thing away... Baby is here, the placenta did its job, cut the cord and move on.

By this time I was ready for the class to be way over.... The fact that the instructor said the placenta is grissley in texture was not necessary..nobody should even know that. My brain had shut off. I was sitting there desperately hoping our next class is our Hospital tour... I cant take much more of this.

I do have so say though, I enjoy the time I spend with my Husband in the class. We enjoy each other so immensely and laugh so much when we are together. If all I ever get from this class is his undivided attention then I think it was well worth it. Our lives will forever be changed come June 3rd.... and I know we will look back at our days before baby and wonder what we did with all our time together. I cant imagine loving a little baby boy as much as I love my husband.... I'm so excited for our son to be born.

4 comments:

Luna-See said...

I'm totally cracking up at the image of you eating Twizzlers while watching a movie of someone giving birth!

I'm definitely glad those genes are being passed on...the world needs more Laugh Makers!

brandeegrl said...

Ditto!! That was too freakin' funny, Morgan :) You & Shaner are the perfect compliment to one another - I love it.

Alyson | New England Living said...

Don't worry, it's not as gross when you're going through it because you don't have to see what's actually going on down there. They always asked me if I'd like a mirror so I could see the baby come out. And, I was like, "no thank you!"

abbyandcompany said...

actually, maybe when you read this you will lose your breakfast or whatever meal you just had, but SOME people do actually turn placenta into stew. I am not kidding. They eat it. So be glad you didn't receive that info combined with the twizzlers. I'm glad you guys are having a fun time together, that's what it's all about anyway. And nice to see Shane didn't get you guys thrown out of class!