Monday, February 4, 2008

Public Recognition...

On Saturday I was in the back of the house finishing up some painting, my husband was out in the garage desperatly trying to finish his sand/rock buggy in time for the big race on Feb 23rd, when I heard our Golden, Lexie, bark! She doesnt bark very often and I thought something must be wrong? The front door was shut so I thought maybe Shane was hurt out in the garage calling for me.... I opened the front door and Shanes welding away...I let Lexie out and she ran to the grass and stopped, ears upward. I walked over and it was the Mail Lady....apparently she had just brought the mail over. She was atleast 2 doors down by now and on foot. When she saw us both standing there watching her, she proceeded to walk all the way back to our house. She got down on her knees and greeted my dog and I thought to myself "This is strange?". As I began to apologize for my over-friendly dog, she said "Oh, its okay, we're friends" and handed my dog a treat from her pocket. I introduced myself, thinking how does she know my dog already? Then I began to introduce my husband and he interupts me saying "We've meet also" Hmmm, now Im feeling like I work to much (scratching my head)... She was a very nice lady. Thankfully she was tired looking and aged way beyond me needing to ever worry about her daily visits to my home.

As she continued to play with Lexie she said "It looks like your gonne have a little one to play with soon, huh?" and I thought...OH, She's referring to my huge watermelon of a gut! I was so excited I said "Yes! Oh Thank you...we're having a boy!". She asked me when I was due and then I realized why women rub their bellies.... Its our way of connecting to that little guy we're referring to at that moment.

So as I stood on the lawn with my dog, rubbing my belly and the mail lady walking away from us. I realized that for the first time I was "Assumed" to be pregnant, not asked, or avoided because I might just be a "big girl" but I was publicly recognized as being pregnant by a stranger. I was so excited, especially because my husband was able to witness it. Even he said that he perked up from his work bench when he heard her say that to me. It was a nice moment to share with him and Lexie. I think the excitement was more from the fact that I had wondered when, and where, I would be when it would finally happen and it happened when I was at home, dress in duds, no make-up, hair all tied up in a funky ponytail on top of my head AND I was barefoot.... in my driveway with my husband and my dog by my side.

It turned out to be a moment that I will always remember. If not only because my dog has a way of making friends on her own or that my husbands winning personality continues to shine even through the most expensive of welding helmets, but because it happened when I least expected it to and Thats what life is all about ~ Right!

5 comments:

Luna-See said...

I guess it's official! ;-)

Post more pics of the baby bump!

xo~

Unknown said...

My bump, my bump, my lovely lady bump... :)

The mail lady gives lexie a bone, but daddy gets nothing except a "hello"...

I love you honey.

Alyson | New England Living said...

That's so cool! It's nice that you wrote it down on your blog so you'll be sure to remember it forever.

Grandpa Randall Henry said...

Great story!! Hey, I just noticed the entry on here that indicates that your little Zun will have the middle name of Randall. How cool is that!!!!!!!!!!!!! Baby Randall Henry - I am "extremely" honored by this news. Zun, Zun, little Zun, little Zun number II! Love you all, Grandpa Randall Henry.

brandeegrl said...

Yeah, yeah....cute story, but even cuter is that black leather baby bag by Nest! Ha ha ha!! Too cute, you sassy mama ;)